My Motherboard My Self - Time to ReStart!

Thursday, November 18, 2010



The past two days have been an extremely difficult over in my neck of the woods. This will be an extremely personal post and a little bit of a departure from my typical posts but it's my blog and I'll share if I want to. :)  On Tuesday night I shut down my beloved Macbook because it was locking up.  Well that would be the last time that it would boot. .  I tried to restart my computer but it would only make it to the gray Apple screen.  I was frantic to say the least.  My Macbook is only one year old coming up on the 28th of November.  My husband just told me to relax and come back to it tomorrow.  I was beside myself.  Just a few days before I left for Napa I reminded myself that I needed to do a backup when I returned, well when I returned would be too late!  Why does it always happen that way? 


After spending 2 hours at the "Genius Bar" in the Apple store fighting back tears, I left my Macbook at the Apple hospital hoping and praying that my data would be able to be recovered.  Soon the call would come....  we've replaced your hard drive but we couldn't move any of your data over!  The bomb dropped!  Why oh why hadn't I backed up my data!  I have a years worth of SED data including business documents, designs, portfolio pictures... EVERYTHING.  In addition to that, all of the software needs to be reinstalled.  GREAT..NOT!!!  What about all of those design elements and fonts that I have purchased?   I felt like the carpet had been pulled from underneath me.  Everything that I have poured my heart into this past year was gone! Just when I thought I was getting into a routine....BAM!  The sadness was immeasurable of how much I feel like I've lost.  One day I will share the story of how and when I started SED, it may then make sense.  I thought about the episode of Sex and the City when Carrie's motherboard dies and she feels as though "her life" was on that machine.  UGH!  Why oh why hadn't I backed up! 


So in tears my husband wraps his arms around me and tells me not to worry, it will be ok.  I call my sister and she says, "Ebony, you know what,  everything you lost YOU created! Not anyone else. YOU!  You are talented, you created those things and you can do them AGAIN. Don't be discouraged! You are amazing! So let's turn this into a wonderful opportunity!"  Of course that made me cry MORE but I thought,  she's right! Those designs came from MY head, I put ink to paper and made them come to creation and I know that I can do it again.  Sometimes you just have to restart and come back bigger and better!  Thank goodness I had already closed my books for the rest of the year (silver lining).  So, that's my goal....to be bigger and BETTER!  It's a tough pill to swallow but who knows what is in store for me, I truly believe that everything happens for a reason.  There is still a chance that the files can be recovered from a disk saving company but in the meantime  I'm focused on making Sparkling Events & Designs, LLC. even better!  So watch out! 


Just remember, sometimes it's ok to restart!  and....I'll be backing up EVERY week from here on out! :) 
.................................................
   Dare to Dream!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart just broke for you but I am THRILLED to see what God has for you in time to come. You ARE brilliant, smart, and have amazing ideas. PS..do you need me to resend your family/self images?

Krystal

Andrea said...

Yes, everything happens for a reason. May all good things be yours these next few weeks as you 'reboot' and renergize yourself and your business.
Patience, my friend.

Allyson/HBMomof2 said...

You keep on keepin' on. You are amazing and this will work out. Recently my husband lost his job and me, the SAHM, freaked. What we didn't know at the time was God doesn't make mistakes, better opportunities were just around the corner for hubby and that in a crisis you truly know who you can depend on. We both needed to learn those lessons and without our trial we would never have. Although this just happened and is raw, a few months down the line it could be the biggest blessing of your life. You can do this.

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone for the sweet comments! It is so hard to go through but I know that at the end of the day... all will be well! :) God is in ultimate control!

Ebony

Shaunna Payne Gold said...

I soooo know that feeling. Stopping everything and backing my stuff up NOW!!! Hugs to my sweet soror for being willing and more importantly ABLE to restart!

Unknown said...

OMG i would die! I have not backed up in about 2 months.. and need to do so!

Gosh, that is MAJOR pill to swallow and you are way more positive then I could be!

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed your heartfelt post, though there was an icky feeling in my stomach reading it as I can only imagine the horrible feelings you were going through. Your sister is right, so glad she was there to remind you of how special you truly are!

Chelle's Zone said...

Hey Ebony! Look into Carbonite or a similar service. It constantly backs up whatever you want for a minimal annual fee.

Keep your head up!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...